Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Chris Hillman on American Culture in the '70s & Today

Chris Hillman, multi-talented co-founder of The Byrds & the Flying Burrito Brothers, one of the seminal figures in LA's country/folk-rock sound, had this to say about the 1970s in the book Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Legendary Neighborhood by Michael Walker (2006): "The whole decade I find is a complete waste in all facets of American culture. There were some good things, don't get me wrong. But that wasn't a good time for me. I lost a lot of people [including Gram Parsons, who overdosed in 1973]."

Things have not improved, from Hillman's point of view: "Look at what we're dealing with now - the end game: American Idol." You can hear more of Chris's opinions on Internet radio this Wednesday, September 29. Hillman is scheduled to appear by telephone on Bill Malone's Back to the Country show on WORT (89.9 FM - Madison, WI), where I volunteer. Bill tells me that Chris Hillman should be on the air around 11:00 a.m. You can hear it anywhere in the world via the Web at: www.wort-fm.org (listen live or via Archive). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment