Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Final Report from Music City

Nashville, Tennessee (USA)
March 2, 2010 - 7:15 a.m. (CST)

Ladies & Gentlemen:
I'm writing this final report on my mission in Dixie, in part, in order to help wake up my hungover & mortally sleep-deprived brain, in preparation for the long drive north to Racine, that dirty old hometown on Lake Michigan. My belongings are sprawled across the lounge of Music City Hostel & I dread the prospect of puzzling them together in my tiny VW in the cold sleet. Alas, some things must be left behind in this material world of limited space. Okay, maybe it ain't Sophie's choice, but some lucky bastard at the Starvation Army thrift store on Charlotte Avenue is gonna get something nice of mine, and cheap.

I dodged a DUI bullet just a few blocks from home at 1:30 a.m. when I was pulled over - for the third time here - on account of defective tail lamps caused by a January battery failure messing up my car's computer. My passengers, Tatiana & Gregoire, bailed immediately. Tat tossed back an almost sarcastic "Good luck, Joe" as they walked away. I passed the horizontal nystgmus gaze test & Officer Friendly let me go with a warning to fix the lights. Thank you, Nashville Metro PD. I love you almost as much as Kid Rock said he likes your fine jail at his induction to the Music Walk of Fame last November. I got within 50 feet of Dolly Parton that warm sunny afternoon & the good vibes coming from her were palpable, folks. Mmmmmm, Dolly....

Well, I failed to find employment in the rapidly downsizing music industry here (C'mon, people, BUY MORE DAMN CDs) but I found something almost as precious: a new direction in my career & life. I'm not sure exactly what it entails, aside from blogging & moving to Seattle as soon as I can get the scratch together. But if it's half as fun as Nashville has been - even on an income of just $198/week UE benefits (plus barter work for my bed), then I can't wait to find out. I spent a couple of hours in the Land of a Thousand Dances last night, otherwise known as rock & soul retro-disco night at the 5 Spot in east Nashville. Man, that was like a scene from the movies when they played Chuck Berry, Wilson Pickett & the Shangri-Las & all the lovely gals in sexy outfits started twisting! But enough about my frustrations & joys & wonder.

Thank you all for sharing this weird journey south with me. Let's get together soon & swap stories. I gotta write some books, I could use your vicarious adventures for additional material or inspiration. Ciao for now, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment