Sunday, December 27, 2009

Paying my dues in Music City

Down But Not Out in Nashville by Joe Crawford Mrazek (Dec. 27, 2009)

I've been cursing (mostly under my breath) at having to play part-time janitor & handyman at Music City Hostel in exchange for my accomodations, which are admittedly quite comfortable now that the owner has upgraded me to a bedroom in a condo instead of bunk in a claustrophobic dorm room. I take solace from this fact: Kris Kristofferson was working as a janitor at Columbia Records Nashville studios when, in late 1965, Bob Dylan showed up to record his masterpiece double album, "Blonde on Blonde" (1966). I can only go up the ladder now, right?

At least I'm within walking distance of Music Row. And I recently managed to get inside a studio, Bayou Recording on Seventeenth Street, to observe a demo-record session. I'm determined to make it as a promoter & manager of Americana artists. I know I have the skills & the savvy for this difficult mission, so nothing gets me down for long anymore. I try to look at my apparent humiliation ("I got a law degree for this shit?") as Zen lessons in modesty or a tonic against arrogance, which I am prone to. Wish me luck, y'all. I'll need lots of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment